Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bayou Folk Art


I just found this wonderful new shop on Etsy that I just have to share with you. The shop is Pouxbelle, located in New Orleans, and is a vision of Louisiana folk art and wildlife. I was delighted to stumble across it and immediately fell in love with the whimsical, folksy art.
My favorite piece is this wonderful pelican. It caught me right away for a number of reasons - my Mom was born and raised in New Orleans and I have so many wonderful memories of childhood days there, and in the town in New York where I grew up, our high school mascot was a pelican! I just had to have this piece!

I am so drawn to the whimsy of Kerry's work. Her painted work is on salvaged wood from historic homes that have been torn down in the 9th ward of New Orleans. She also makes sweet little coin purses from vintage fabrics and hand-made textiles. Stop by her shop - I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

lilylovekin said...

Stopped by Pouxbelle as you suggested and yes everything was very cute. I like the painting you got I can see why you had to have it. I love how she wrote the words behind the painted bird. Have a nice day. Lorrie

Unknown said...

Oh Beth your are right her work is just charming. I love folk art ! A pelican for a mascot ? How unique. I do not even remember what ours was. You have a good memory!! May be I would remember if ours had been a pelican