Friday, July 24, 2009

Anyone Else Like Old Movies?



I guess when I ask the question does anyone else like old movies, I have to be more specific depending on one's age. To me old movies are from the 30's and 40's but I guess to a lot, old movies could be the 60's and 70's!
Anyway, I really enjoy movies from the 30's and 40's and really caught a good one last night - Dark Victory (1939).
Anyone who likes movies from this time is also probably a Bette Davis fan. She was such a great actress. I think the acting style was totally different then, so much more melodramatic and so entertaining.
If you are not familiar with the story it is about an heiress (soooo Bette Davis) who has a brain tumor, falls in love with her doctor, and eventually dies. Ronald Reagan plays one of her playboy party-friends and he is very good, small part that it is. Humphrey Bogart is very mis-cast in a small part as an Irish horse trainer to the family.
I love some of the old expressions - you're making love to me aren't you, but my favorite line of the movie was said to her maid, Martha, I can't possibly change unless I have a drink!

The film is a classic. Bette Davis was nominated for an Oscar however lost to Vivien Leigh in Gone With the Wind, and the film itself was nominated for Best Picture, also losing to Gone With the Wind - tough competition that year!

3 comments:

lilylovekin said...

Beth, I'm a huge old movie fan and have a large collection of dvds. My favorite Bette Davis movie is "The Letter", watch it if you ever have the chance.

Beth Anderson said...

I love that movie Lorrie!
Should have known you be a fan too.
:-)

Kathy said...

I am not a big movie watcher. I have a problem sitting still for more than a few minutes at a time. If I do watch a movie, I have to be doing something else like doodling, crossword puzzles or Sudoku...then I never remember what the movie was about. I don't like movies or shows that are sad or violent so I don't find too much to my liking. I know there are people that love old movies. My son and his wife just love movies in general and rent them all the time.

I told my husband I could live without a tv and he just laughed as he keeps his eyes open for a big screen on sale for the new shows this fall! :)